Fires can start in any room and the effects can be devastating. Knowing how to reduce the risk of fire in your home can help to keep everyone safe.
Here are our 10 top tips for staying safe:
- Make sure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your home
- Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they are working. Please test smoke alarms regularly
- Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended
- Avoid using a chip pan or any other pan filled with hot oil
- Don’t overload electric sockets – most can only take a maximum of 13 amps
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- Keep clothes well away from heaters and open fires
- Put out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully
- Don’t charge items such as mobile phones, tablets or e-cigarettes overnight
- Plan an escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in the event of a fire
Don't forget we offer free home visits to anyone living in Essex. If you do not have working smoke alarms, or have working smoke alarms but would like more information about how to live safely and securely at home, book one of our free visits today. Call 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book.