Bonfire spreads to outbuilding
Bournemouth Park Road, Southend
03/05/2021 @ 20:30
Incident Number: 143714
In attendance: 2 x Southend
Crews have issued safety advice after a bonfire spread to an outbuilding and fence.
Firefighters were called to Bournemouth Park Road, Southend yesterday (Monday) at 8.30pm after a passer-by spotted a fire in a garden.
Southend's crews were quickly on the scene and extinguished the fire before it took hold, with damage limited to a shed and fence being scorched.
Watch Manager Dan Hart said: "The bonfire was too large to safely control and the windy conditions meant it spread even more quickly.
"The occupant tried to douse it with a small garden hose but it was insufficient.
"The fire could have caused much more damage so it is important you know your limits if you start a bonfire."
Crews fully extinguished the fire by 9.08pm.
Bonfire safety advice
- Site the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs
- Build a small and stable stack that you can control and will not collapse
- Avoid lighting the bonfire if it is windy because sparks and smoke could blow out of control
- Don't leave the bonfire burning unattended
- Never use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
- Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all times
- Pour water on the embers before leaving it