Kitchen fire after man falls asleep while cooking
Rantree Fold, Basildon
28/04/2021 @ 20:52
Incident Number: 143407
In attendance: 2 x Basildon
Firefighters have advised people not to cook while tired after attending a kitchen fire in Basildon.
On arrival, crews reported that there was a fire in the kitchen of a house in Rantree Fold, Basildon and firefighters extinguished it by 9:16pm.
The kitchen has been badly smoke and fire damaged.
Watch Manager Walsh from Basildon Fire Station said: “Please do not cook when you’re tired, it’s easy to fall asleep and a fire can quickly develop.”
More than half of accidental fires in the home are started by cooking - it can be incredibly dangerous if you don't take precautions:
- Don't leave children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob
- Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
- Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk
- Don't cook if you are tired, taking medication that makes your drowsy or have been drinking alcohol