Second chimney fire in two days
Writtle Street, Chelmsford
07/04/2021 @ 18:05
Incident Number: 142032
In attendance: 2 x Chelmsford
Firefighters were called to a second chimney fire in two days this evening (Wednesday 7 April).
Chelmsford fire crews arrived at the incident and quickly worked to extinguish the fire.
The fire was fully extinguished by 7:15pm.
Most chimney fires are preventable. Regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys. Keep your family and home safe by following our chimney safety advice:
• Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood
• Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed
• Use a fire or spark guard
• Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them
• Inspect your chimney regularly - particularly in the roof space - to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks
• Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves
• Buy only suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion