PHOTO: Tumble dryer fire
Westcliff Parade, Westcliff
24/03/2021 @ 21:37
Incident Number: 114152
In attendance: 2 x Southend
Firefighters have given safety advice for using tumble dryers after a tumble dryer caused a fire in a garage.
Crews were called to Westcliff Parade, Westcliff just after 9:30pm and found a tumble dryer on fire in a heavily smoke logged garage.
Firefighters extinguished the fire by 10:13pm.
Crew Manager Rick Jones from Southend Fire Station said: “Please take extra care when using tumble dryers and appliances like washing machines and dishwashers. Please do not run them overnight while you are asleep or when you are out.”
Follow our advice to stay safe using your tumble dryer:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
- Clean the filters after each use to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
- Ensure that the appliance has its own plug socket. Do not overload extension leads. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket