Essex County Fire and Rescue Service


Thatched cottage fire

Wix Road, Bradfield
26/02/2021 @ 20:14
Incident Number: 139869
In attendance: 2 x Colchester (1 x Aerial Ladder Platform), 2 x Dovercourt, 2 x Clacton, 1 x Weeley, 1 x Brightlingsea, 1 x Wivenhoe, 1 x Frinton, 1 x Halstead (Water Bowser)

Firefighters were called to the scene of a fire affecting the roof of a thatched cottage.

On arrival crews confirmed that around 50% of the cottage's roof, which measures roughly 5 metres by 10 metres, was alight.

The incident commander called for the support of an aerial ladder platform to allow firefighters to spray water onto the fire from height.

Due to the remote location of the incident a water bowser - a special appliance which carries a large amount of water - was also called to help provide a consistent water supply.

By 9.40pm, the incident had been divided into sectors to allow crews to surround the fire. Crews were working to remove parts of the thatched material to prevent the fire spreading further.

At 10.30pm, firefighters were continuing to remove the thatched material from the roof of the property to make it easier to extinguish. Good progress was being made. Due to the nature of the fire, crews expected to remain at the scene throughout the night.

At 11.30pm, Incident Commander Mark Earwicker said: 

"Firefighters have worked incredibly hard to get this fire surrounded and under control. Good progress is continuing to be made.

"Crews are stripping the thatched material away from the roof to make the fire easier to extinguish. Around 60% of the roof has been removed so far, but the process does take some time. We expect firefighting to continue throughout tonight and into tomorrow morning.

"I'd like to thank the local community for their patience and support, as well as Essex Police for their assistance in making the area safe."

At 7.30am on Saturday, four fire engines were left at the scene. The fire had been extinguished. Crews were monitoring the thatched material for remaining hotspots and making sure the area was completely safe.

At 5pm on Saturday, two crews were at the scene. Crews were continuing to extinguish remaining hotspots.

Following a fire investigation, we believe this fire was caused accidentally. Sadly, the building has been destroyed.

At 7.30am on Sunday, one crew remained at the scene to monitor the site. Firefighters were continuing to eliminate hotspots which remained within the structure.

Incident Images

  • 139869 - 2
  • 139869 - 1
Site by Pingala Media