Hob causes fire after it was accidentally switched on
Rosberg Road, Canvey Island
13/08/2020 @ 07:12
Incident Number: 128754
In attendance: 1 x Canvey, 1 x Rayleigh Weir
Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in Canvey this morning after the resident heard her smoke alarms going off, got out of her home and called the Fire Service.
On arrival, crews reported that the kitchen was heavily smoke logged and worked to extinguish the fire by 7:52am.
The fire was caused after the hob was accidentally turned on and set fire to a pan on top of the hob.
The resident suffered some smoke inhalation and was left in the care of the Ambulance Service.
More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking - follow our cooking safety advice to stay safe in your kitchen.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
- Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk
Could you be an on-call firefighter?
Some of the firefighters who attended this incident are on-call firefighters who live or work within 5 minutes of an on-call fire station and are paid to protect their local community.
To find out more about the role and how you can apply, visit: join.essex-fire.gov.uk/on-call