Bonfire destroys sheds
The Chase, Rayleigh
15/07/2020 @ 17:16
Incident Number: 126697
In attendance: 1 x Rayleigh Weir, 1 x Leigh
Fire Control received almost 30 calls reporting a fire in Rayleigh this afternoon (Wednesday 15 July).
When firefighters arrived at the incident, they reported that a bonfire in a garden had spread out of control. The fire had spread to fencing, two sheds and a summerhouse.
Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire by 6pm. They then made sure the affected area was completely cooled before leaving.
The fire was caused by a bonfire which had spread out of control.
Incidents like this show how quickly bonfires can spread out of control. Follow these safety tips to stay safe:
- Site the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs
- Never leave the bonfire burning unattended
- Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side
- NEVER use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
- Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all times
- Pour water on the embers before leaving