Broomfield Road, Chelmsford
02/06/2020 @ 17:35
Incident Number: 124112
In attendance: 2 x Chelmsford
Crews were called to a second floor flat in Chelmsford after reports of a fire in the kitchen.
On arrival firefighters reported that the flat was smoke logged and a pan was light on top of the hob.
Firefighters removed the pan and cleared the flat of smoke by 5.50pm.
With more than half of accidental fires at home started by cooking, follow our cooking safety advice to stay safe in your kitchen.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
- Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
Do you have working smoke alarms in your home?
We want everyone in Essex to have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and will fit them for free if you haven't got any. Please book a free home fire safety visit today at www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book or call 0330 303 0088.