Fire caused by cooking left on hob
Antony Close, Canvey
05/07/2019 @ 22:07
Incident Number: 103842
In attendance: 1 x Canvey, 1 x Rayleigh Weir
Firefighters were called by a paserby who spotted smoke coming from a house in Canvey.
When fire crews arrived they reported the kitchen was full of smoke - which had been caused by saucepan which had been left on the hob.
Crews extinguished the fire and cleared the smoke from the fire property.
Over 75% of all accidental house fires in Essex start in the kitchen - always make sure you don't leave your cooking unattended and check everything is off before your leave your house."
Cooking safety advice
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
- Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
Not got a smoke alarm fitted?
We want every home in Essex to be provided with the excellent protection that smoke alarms offer. As in this case, smoke alarms can alert you to a fire and give you a chance to escape your home safely.
To arrange your FREE fitting, call 0300 303 0088 or visit essex-fire.gov.uk/book.