Derelict building fire
Broadstood Road, Loughton
04/07/2019 @ 09:24
Incident Number: 103678
In attendance: 1 x Loughton, 1 x Epping
Firefighters were called to a fire in a derelict building in Loughton this morning (Thursday 4 July).
When fire crews arrived they reported that the building measured approximately 30m x 15m and had two floors. The whole roof was on fire. Parts of the house, which is currently being demolished, also collapsed during the fire.
Firefighters worked very hard in hot conditions to contain the fire and stop it spreading to neighbouring properties.
Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire by 11:25am.
Firefighters found two bonfires near the property which is thought to have been the cause of the fire.
Bonfire Fire Safety Advice:
- Site the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs
- Never leave the bonfire burning unattended
- Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side
- NEVER use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
- Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all times
- Pour water on the embers before leaving