Unattended pan causes house fire
Hillborough Road, Westcliff-on-Sea
21/05/2018 @ 14:58
Incident Number: 77769
In attendance: 2 x Southend
Firefighters were called to reports of a house fire this afternoon after a neighbour noticed smoke coming from the property.
Crews reported on arrival that much of the property was smoke-logged. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire by 3.23pm, before ventilating the home of smoke using positive pressure ventilation fans.
The kitchen has suffered from smoke damage.
The fire was caused after cooking was left unattended on the hob - no-one was in the property when a pan ignited.
This incident could have been much more serious. More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking. Follow our safety advice to avoid putting you and your family at risk:
- NEVER leave a pan unattended. It can easily overheat and ignite or set fire to nearby objects. If you do need to leave the room, turn the heat down or take the pan off the hob completely.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
- Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.