Fire Engineering Consultancy
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service has invested in a growing fire engineering department, built up of a team of highly qualified and experienced Fire Engineers. All of the team have served as operational firefighters and have obtained both Bachelors and Master’s Degrees in Fire Safety engineering along with a wide variety of other relevant qualifications.
We offer the following wide range of services:
• Evaluation of fire safety strategies and plans for large and or complex building designs.
• Validation of smoke and/or evacuation calculations (ASET’v’RSET)
• Validation of computer modelling, reviewing computer fire models and run computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations using fire dynamic simulation (FDS) and PyroSim software
• Produce reports, recommendations and conclusions
• Client and staff briefings, to ensure they are aware of the systems incorporated within the buildings design and understand their importance for the safety of the buildings occupiers once the building has been handed over to the client. This will also assist in the compliance with fire safety legislation and audits/inspections
• Attend meetings with architects, engineers and building control officers/approved inspectors and carry out site visits
• Prepare expert reports
About your consultants
Assistant Divisional Officer
Assistant Divisional Officer
The team is led by Divisional Officer Mark Earwicker. He has 26 years’ service, the last 15 years within Technical Fire Safety. He achieved The Degree of Bachelor of Engineering in Fire Engineering with Honours BEng (Hons) in 2008 and The Degree of Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering (MSc) in 2010.
Following a number of appearances as an expert witness in court, leading to successful rulings, the need for a further field of qualification in the form was prompted. Mark completed his Level 7 BTEC Advanced Professional Certificate in Investigative Practice, a highly recognised qualification within the courts and legal profession, in 2013.This has enabled him to sit alongside the Service’s Barrister and offer technical expert guidance whilst the court is in session.
Mark is also the Service’s Fire Investigation Lead Officer and recently completed a Foundation degree in Fire Scene Investigation (FdSc) at Teesside University in 2015.
Mark is assisted by Station Officer Michael Sparrow. He has 28 years’ service the last 11 years within Technical Fire Safety, he achieved The Degree of Bachelor of Engineering in Fire Engineering with
Honours BEng (Hons) in 2011 and The Degree of Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering (MSc) in 2013. He achieved a Level 7 BTEC Advanced Professional Certificate in Investigative Practice alongside Mark in 2013.
A third Fire Engineer is available at peak times; Tim Russell has 21 years’ service, the last 10 years within Technical Fire Safety, he achieved The Degree of Bachelor of Engineering in Fire Engineering with Honours BEng (Hons) in 2011 and The Degree of Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering (MSc) in 2013.
All three officers hold a HABC Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF) or equivalent.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
EFA (Trading) Ltd
Registered in England & Wales - Company Number 05351436