By following these top safety tips, you can help make sure that your student experience is a fire-safe one:
- Don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care when frying with oil
- Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol, especially late at night
- Take extra care with cigarettes and other smoking materials and never smoke in bed. If you smoke, make sure you put your cigarette out, right out.
- Keep candles away from flammable surfaces or material that might burn – such as curtains, TVs, bath tubs – and never leave lit candles unattended.
- Don’t overload plug sockets and switch off electrical equipment such as chargers, hair straighteners and blow dryers overnight or when not in use.
- Make sure you and your housemates know your escape routes, practise it and have a plan B in case your route is blocked.
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.