If you're a smoker or you have a smoker living in your house, make sure you follow our advice to stay safe at home.
- Make sure your all cigarettes are fully extinguished.
- Take extra care when you’re tired, taking any sort of drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning.
- Never smoke in bed - if you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire.
- Never leave lit cigarettes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
- Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.
- Tap your ash into an ashtray, never a wastebasket containing other rubbish – and don’t let the ash or cigarette ends build up in the ashtray.
- Use child safe matches and cigarette lighters and keep them safely out of the reach of children
- Fit and maintain a smoke alarm - a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.