- Make sure heaters are well maintained and in good working order.
- Never install, repair or service appliances yourself. Make sure anyone who does is registered with the Gas Safe Register (for gas appliances), the Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme (HETAS) (for solid fuel appliances), or the Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC) (for oil appliances).
- Don't take risks with old heaters – if it's electrical and getting older, get it tested by a qualified electrician or buy a new one.
- Where appropriate, secure heaters against a wall to stop them falling over, or fit wall-mounted heaters.
- Keep heaters well away from clothes, curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.
- Always sit at least one metre away from a heater as it could set light to your clothes or chair.
- Before attempting to move your heater, turn it off and allow it to cool first.