Home Fire Safety Activities for Children
Please see some of our home fire safety activities below to help keep your children entertained while learning about home fire safety.
We'd love to see your children's colouring, share them with us on our social media channels. Let us know their first name, age and the town they're from as well as their tips on how to stay safe. We'll share them on our social media channels: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
We want everyone in Essex to stay safe, help us keep you safe by talking to your children about home fire safety:
Here are our 10 top tips to keep you safe at home:
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home
- Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they are working. Please test smoke alarms regularly
- Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended
- Avoid using a chip pan or any other pan filled with hot oil
- Don’t overload electric sockets– most can only take a maximum of 13 amps
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- Keep clothes well away from heaters and open fires
- Put out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully
- Don’t charge things like mobile phones, tablets or e-cigs overnight, or longer than the recommended charging time
- Plan an escape route and make sure everyone in the house knows how to get out in the event of a fire
Our Education Officers visit thousands of school children each year in Essex.
We work with Essex Police to deliver fire safety and crime prevention advice in lessons and assemblies.
Our Education Officers have made their presentations available on our website for children to learn from the Fire Service and Police.
Click here to access our Education Hub.
Home fire safety videos
For helpful tips from our experts, take a look at our home fire safety videos on YouTube or visit our home fire safety web pages.