‘All Fired Up’ is a new series of articles written by our Museum volunteers about the history of the fire service in Essex.
Volunteers spend many hours researching the collection, often uncovering untold stories and finding interesting facts that would otherwise be lost.
To share these invaluable snippets of history with you we are making some of this research available here.
- 1. A Bit of Gas by Mick Ford383kb
- 2. The Pump Escape by Murray Beale127kb
- 3. HK Hudson Abbreviated by David Hughes297kb
- 4. The Fire Brigades Act 1938 by Mike Smith446kb
- 5. All Creatures Great and Small by Mick Ford409kb
- 6. Hooked! by Murray Beale534kb
- 7. The Silvertown Explosion by D.P Hughes145kb
- 8. The Fire Brigade is on the Job! by M Smith371kb
- 9. Francis Charles Wilson.258kb
- 10. All Fired Up Hydrant Plates208kb
- 11. James Charles Diaper40kb
- 12. All fired up - Over the Border59kb
- 13. A Biography of an Enthusiast by Mick For461kb
- Essex Firemen who served between 1900 and 19208mb
- 14. AFU Fire Helmets by M Beale555kb
- 15. A Woman's Place?127kb
- 16. What Goes Up Must Come Down513kb
- 17. Not Just A Van1mb
- 18. A Century of Women in the Fire Service2mb
- 19. AFU The Happy Drummer - Mick Ford935kb