Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner
The role of the Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner is to be the voice of the people, hold Essex Police to account and provide an efficient and effective fire and rescue service.
Responsibilities regarding Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
The PFCC must:
- Provide a local connection between the fire and rescue service and local communities
- Set a budget and calculate the council tax requirement
- Maintain an efficient and effective fire and rescue service for the county
- Approve an integrated risk management plan
- Develop a Fire and Rescue Plan and Fire and Rescue Statement
- Scrutinise, support and challenge performance against the Plan
- Appoint a Chief Fire Officer to lead and manage the service
The PFCC is elected by the public to hold the Chief Constable and Chief Fire Officer to account, effectively making the police and fire and rescue service answerable to the communities they serve. The PFCC ensures that community needs are met as effectively as possible, and local relationships improve through building confidence and restoring trust. They work in partnership across a range of agencies at local and national level to ensure there is a unified approach to preventing and reducing crime.