Is your home really smoke alarmed?
Did you know that smoke alarms alert occupants to just under half of fires in homes?
The reason isn’t because they’re unreliable – they provide the best protection for keeping you and your family safe and giving you a chance of escaping without injury.
The main reason is in fact that the smoke alarms are out of range; because it’s often wrongly believed that just one smoke alarm per house is enough to provide protection.
Think about your own home for a moment…
How many smoke alarms do you have?
When did you last test them?
If you’re unsure on the answers to either of these questions, there’s a good chance you are actually at risk in your own property.
Think of it like this: you may have a smoke alarm in your living room, for example, but if there’s a fire in an upstairs bedroom, how long would it take for the smoke to reach it? It could be far too late.
Following our five top tips is the best way to be sure that your home is properly smoke alarmed:
- Install at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home.
- Ideally the alarm should be on the ceiling, the middle of a room or on a hallway/landing.
- Rooms with lots of electrical items like TVs, computers and games consoles should be alarmed – especially if they’re near to sleeping areas.
- Don’t put alarms in or near kitchens/bathrooms, where smoke and steam can regularly set them off by accident.
- Replace your smoke alarms every ten years – but test them monthly!
Get your FREE smoke alarm!
Now time for some good news: if you don’t have a smoke alarm in your property or would like further advice on fire safety at home, our Home Safety team can arrange for a free visit.
Where necessary, a team member will also fit smoke alarms free of charge… so why not call the team today and arrange your visit?
Call the team today on 0300 303 0088 or fill in our online form: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book