Have a safer Fireworks night at an organised display
The best way to stay safe on bonfire night is to go to a properly organised fireworks display rather than holding your own party in the back garden. That’s the advice from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service.
There are dozens of organised displays taking place across Essex and they are by far the safest way to enjoy fireworks.
Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick, Community Safety, said: “Organised displays are bigger, better, cheaper and far safer than holding your own fireworks party.
“These displays last longer and are far more impressive than anything seen at a back garden firework display. They also benefit a lot of good causes. We have created an interactive map showing where many of the displays taking place in Essex are being held and what date they are on.
“When something goes wrong at a firework party the situation can often escalate very quickly and burns from fireworks are some of the worst people can suffer. Sparklers burn five times hotter than cooking oil, they should never be given to a child under five and should always be held in a gloved hand.
“Also no matter where you’re going make sure all animals are kept indoors and that young children are under constant adult supervision.”
Find an organised display near you with our map:
Although organised displays are the safest and best way to enjoy Bon Fire Night if people insist on holding their own displays it’s vital that they follow the fireworks code:
• Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
• Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
• Keep fireworks in a closed non-flammable box.
• Follow the instructions on each firework.
• Light them at arm’s length, using a taper.
• Stand well back.
• Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode.
• Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
• Always supervise children around fireworks.
• Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
• Never give sparklers to a child under five.
• Keep pets indoors.
• Don’t set off noisy fireworks late at night and never after 11pm.