Essex FA Meeting: Outcomes and Update
Yesterday - Wednesday 7 October - the Essex Fire Authority held their meeting at Essex County Fire and Rescue Headquarters.
The items discussed included:
• Independent Cultural Review of Essex County Fire and Rescue Service – initial recommendations and outline plan (agenda item 04 & 05)
• Results of First Stage IRMP Consultation
• Enabling Closer Working Between the Emergency Services
Click here for agenda and supporting documents for the meeting.
Independent Cultural Review of Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
Agenda items 04 & 05
The 35 recommendations as put forward in the Independent Cultural Review by Irene Lucas were accepted. An additional two recommendations were proposed and accepted:
That the Essex Fire Authority:
• Instructs the Acting Chief Fire Officer to produce an Implementation Action Plan as a matter of priority for consideration by the Authority. The plan to set target dates for completion of each recommendation and to identify those recommendations requiring input from the Expert Advisory Panel.
• Instructs the Acting Chief Fire Officer to report progress to every meeting of Essex Fire Authority for a minimum of 24 months.
The recommendations made by Irene Lucas for the core membership of the External Advisory Panel were accepted and agreed.
Recommendation 4 (agenda item 05) was removed: “Approve that the Policy and Strategy Committee is given delegated authority to make decisions on permanent reductions in establishment and early exit options.” Instead it was agreed that all members of the Authority be engaged in these decisions.
The discussion focused on the need to be fully accountable as an Authority for the outcome and recommendations from the report. Members of the Authority agree that they would meet more regularly through this challenging time as needed.
Results of the First Stage IRMP Consultation
(Agenda item 06)
Presentation by Ben Pilkington, Programme Manager – 2020 Programme.
The EFA agreed to accept the IRMP recommendations. These recommendations will inform the options development and public consultation stages.
An extraordinary meeting is scheduled for 15 January 2016, where Programme 2020 options will be formally put forward/ presented.
Enabling Closer Working Between the Emergency Services
(Agenda Item 07)
The Essex Fire Authority agreed to delegate authority to ECFRS Finance Director and Treasurer, Mike Clayton, to submit the response on behalf of the Authority.
Individuals can still submit their own responses. The consultation closes on October 23, 2015.
The next Essex Fire Authority meeting will take place on Wednesday 2 December 2015 at 10.00am.