Don't let you Halloween end in a nightmare
Halloween can be a fun time for the whole family but to avoid the day ending in a nightmare we advise everyone to take extra care a read our fire safety tips:
Follow our safety advice to have a safe Halloween:
- It is far safer to use flickering LED candles than real candles in pumpkins and as part of displays.
- Make sure that fancy dress costumes and masks are labelled as flame-resistant.
- Don't use flammable materials to make home-made costumes. Be especially careful about using bin liners as capes
- Keep children away from naked flames and don’t let them carry lit candles or lanterns with a real candle in them.
- If you must use candles make sure they are securely placed in a correct holder away from curtains, cushions and draughts in a place where they are not likely to be knocked over.
- Make sure candles are extinguished when you go to bed
- If you are using decorative lights in your home, ensure that electricity sockets are not overloaded and that they’re switched off at the socket at night.
It is also important to remember that not everyone enjoys a visit from trick-or-treaters and young people should take care to make sure that their fun is not frightening or intimidating. Take a look at Essex Police's advice for a safe Halloween.