Could you be an on-call firefighter in Dovercourt?
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is holding a week long recruitment drive in Dovercourt for anyone interested in becoming an on-call firefighter.
If you are over 18-years-old and live or work within five minutes of Dovercourt Fire Station, you could become one of more than 500 on-call firefighters in the service.
On-call firefighters go about their daily lives as usual until their pager sounds, when they immediately have to make their way to their local fire station. They never know what they could be attending, it could be a road traffic collision, a field fire or even a chemical spill. The role is more than fighting fires.
ECFRS is looking for people who live and work within 5 minutes of Dovercourt Fire Station to provide additional cover in the daytime, evenings and weekends.
On-call firefighters are paid for the time they are available to work, regardless of whether they are called out. They are also paid an additional hourly rate for attending incidents and training. The amount on-call firefighters get paid depends on their availability but they can earn anywhere between £4,000 and £8,000 a year, sometimes more.
To become an on-call firefighter, you’ll need to pass an assessment day including a fitness test. While off-putting to some, ECFRS has a fitness team who hold pre-assessment fitness days and offer advice on how to improve fitness.
After passing your initial fitness test, you’ll spend two full weeks training at ECFRS's Service Training Centres followed by a further evening session for 10 weeks.
In addition to the weekly session at Service Training Centre, new recruits begin attending their local station's drill night, something they'll be expected to do throughout their career in order to keep their training and knowledge current.
Could you be an on-call firefighter? If you're aged 18 or over, live or work within 5 minutes of Dovercourt Fire Station and are physically fit, you could be paid to protect your local community. For more information visit join.essex-fire.gov.uk/on-call/dovercourt/
You can find out more about the role this week from firefighters and on-call liaison officers who will be on hand to answer any questions you have:
• Saturday 2 November – On-call liaison officers will be at Harwich parkrun
• Monday 4 November – Drop in at Dovercourt Station between 10am and 4pm to chat to Stephen Osborn, On-Call Liaison Officer and our Recruitment Team.
• Tuesday 5 November - Drop in at Dovercourt Fire Station between 1pm and 7:30pm to chat with Stephen Osborn, On-Call Liaison Officer.
• Wednesday 6 November - Drop in at Dovercourt Fire Station between 10am and 4pm to chat to Stephen Osborn, On-Call Liaison Officer and Recruitment Team
• Thursday 7 November - Meet our Fitness Team at Dovercourt Fire Station between 11:30am - 4pm and try the bleep test (email email@example.com to book your session). Drop in between 1pm and 7:30 pm to chat to Stephen Osborn. On-Call Liaison Officer
• Friday 8 November - Drop in at Dovercourt Fire Station between 10am and 4pm to chat to Stephen Osborn, On-Call Liaison Officer and Recruitment Team