Businesses: stay strike safe
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is urging businesses to take extra care and make sure that they are ready for the three upcoming firefighters strikes taking place between 19:00hrs and 00:00hrs on Tuesday December 24, 18:30hrs and 00:30hrs on Tuesday December 31 and 06:30hrs and 08:30hrs on Friday January 3 .
Although ECFRS has robust contingency arrangements in place businesses can help by carrying out a few simple checks in the days before the strike and by being extra vigilant during the strike period.
Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick said: “We have excellent contingency arrangements in place and everyone should continue to dial 999 as usual safe in the knowledge that crews will attend, but businesses can take a few extra precautions to help us keep them safe during this short strike.”
The top ten business safety tips from ECFRS are:
- Make sure that your alarm contracts are completely up-to-date.
- Familiarise yourself with your risk assessment.
- Make sure that fire escapes are clear.
- Make sure that staff know what to do in the event of a fire.
- Try to avoid putting flammable waste out on the day.
- Don’t store flammable goods under stairs or in enclosed spaces.
- Make sure that electrical appliances are switched off at the plug when not in use.
- Keep smoking areas free of waste and empty ash trays.
- Urge your staff to be safer, be slower be vigilant, particularly delivery drivers.
- Be vigilant and keep safety in mind with all that you do.
DO Fenwick said: “We hope that businesses are fire safe everyday but we are urging everyone, including businesses, to take a little more care between 19:00hrs and 00:00hrs on Tuesday December 24, 18:30hrs and 00:30hrs on Tuesday December 31 and 06:30hrs and 08:30hrs on Friday January 3. By taking a few extra precautions businesses can play their part in keeping the county safe throughout the strike.”