Be V safe at V Festival this weekend
V Festival 2016 is coming up this weekend at Hylands Park in Chelmsford, and we want to make sure everyone has a very happy and safe time. We are urging all festival goers to follow our basic fire safety advice to ensure no-one is injured by fire.
Divisional Officer Chris Noakes said: “We want everyone at V Festival to have a really great time, and so we are urging everyone to take extra care to avoid fire”.
“In particular we urge people to take care when cooking and smoking. Always cook a safe distance away from any tents and ensure you fully extinguish any smoking materials. Fire can destroy a tent in a short amount of time and can easily spread very quickly.
“Never be tempted to put a BBQ inside a tent as carbon monoxide is produced which could have fatal consequences for anyone inside the tent. You can’t see, smell or taste carbon monoxide and it is still given off, even when the BBQ is extinguished.
“If anyone has any fire safety concerns during the weekend, you can ask a steward for help or come to speak to one of the Essex County Fire And Rescue Service officers who will be on-site all weekend for your safety”.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service are advising all festival goers to follow these simple safety tips:
- Don't pitch your tent on the emergency access lanes in the campsite - they are there for your safety
- Put cigarettes and other smoking materials out properly
- Never throw cigarette ends out of car windows – they could start a fire and endanger lives
- Never smoke in your tent.
- Gas/LPG camping stove are NOT permitted. However, you may bring a small portable BBQ tray into red and yellow campsites at Hylands Park
- If you are using a disposable BBQ, keep them well away from your tent and those surrounding you
- Don’t bring your smouldering BBQ into your tent, Carbon Monoxide is a killer
- Ensure your BBQ is cool before attempting to move it
- Never leave your BBQ unattended
- Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues
- Don't be tempted to drink alcohol if you plan to drive home.