Embers from incinerator set shed alight
Monks Lane, Dedham
19/09/2020 @ 14:25
Incident Number: 131254
In attendance: 2 x Colchester
Firefighters were called to a garden fire in Dedham this afternoon after embers in an incinerator set a shed alight.
On arrival, crews reported that a garden shed was on fire and extinguished it by 2:47pm.
Crew Manager Andrew Deex from Colchester Fire Station said: “If you are going to have a bonfire or a fire in an incinerator, make sure it’s properly extinguished before you leave it. In this dry weather, embers can quickly catch grass and plants alight and spread.”
If you're planning to have a bonfire, read our safety advice first:
- Site the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs
- Never leave the bonfire burning unattended
- Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side
- NEVER use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
- Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all times
- Pour water on the embers before leaving