Firefighters issue safety warning after charging battery explodes
Redbridge Road, Clacton
02/08/2020 @ 11:19
Incident Number: 127886
In attendance: 1 x Clacton, 1 x Weeley
Firefighters have issued fire safety advice after a lithium ion battery exploded while being charged this morning.
The battery was attached to a power drill and was left charging in a house.
Watch Manager Ben Turner from Clacton Fire Station said: "Thankfully there was not any damage and it didn't cause a fire this time, but incidents like this show how important it is to make sure you know how to store and use battery powered tools correctly.
- Only buy from reputable retailers and brand
- Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with European Safety standards
- Don’t leave items on charge or plugged in overnight or whilst you are out of the house
- Don’t leave items on charge for long periods
- Everytime you use the tool check that it is in good working condition, particulary the wiring and connections.
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home.