Fire pit starts garden fire
Berens Close, Wickford
21/03/2020 @ 22:29
Incident Number: 120021
In attendance: 1 x Rayleigh Weir, 1 x Wickford
Crews were called to a house after reports that a fire in the garden had got out of control.
On arrival firefighters reported that flames from a fire pit had spread to a small shed and then quickly caught alight to a motorbike, decking and a BBQ, before reaching the fence and spreading to part of the neighbour's garden.
Firefighters worked to bring the fire under control in both gardens and completely extinguished it by 11.30pm.
Firefighters are now issuing safety advice to anyone using bonfires and fire pits:
- Site the bonfire or fire pit well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs
- Never leave the fire burning unattended
- Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side
- NEVER use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
- Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all times
- Pour water on the embers before leaving