Chip pan causes kitchen fire
Southend Road, Corringham
30/10/2019 @ 13:22
Incident Number: 111927
In attendance: 2 x Basildon
Firefighters were called to a fire in a property in Corringham this afternoon, after a chip pan ignited.
On arrival, crews reported that the chip pan was alight and the kitchen was smoke logged.
Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire by 1.50pm.
Follow our cooking advice
Our advice is to avoid using chip pans, but if you intend to, you should always follow our cooking advice:
- Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
- Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
- If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
- If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it
Not got a working smoke alarm in your property?
We want every home in Essex to benefit from the excellent protection that working smoke alarms provide.
If you don't have a working smoke alarm in your home, don't worry - we'll come and fit them for free!
Simply call 0300 303 0088 or visit essex-fire.gov.uk/book to arrange your visit today.