Achilles Way, Braintree
14/04/2019 @ 16:52
Incident Number: 98507
In attendance: 2 x Braintree
Crews were called to a house in Braintree after a pan of cooking oil caught alight.
On arrival firefighters reported that the fire was out but worked to ventilate the property.
On carrying out their safety checks firefighters discovered that although there was a smoke alarm in the property the battery had been removed, so proceeded to fit working smoke alarms.
Crew Manager Paul Mayes said:
"Smoke alarms alert you to the first sign of fire in your home and can be the difference between life or death.
"Although it can be tempting to remove a battery or disconnect an alarm it's vital that you never do this and regularly test your alarm to ensure it's working correctly."
Are you cooking safely?
Cooking fires can be volatile – so it’s vital you follow our advice and get to enjoy that meal you’ve been looking forward to without putting yourself at risk.
• Be careful if you’re wearing loose clothing – it could catch alight.
• Keep tea towels and cloths well away from the hob.
• Never leave cooking pans unattended. If you need to leave the room, take them off the heat or at least turn them down.
• Make sure saucepan handles aren’t sticking out or in awkward positions where they could be knocked over.
If you’re cooking with oil:
• Make sure food is dry before putting it in the hot oil, so it doesn’t splash.
• If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool down.
• Use a thermostat-controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
• If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. NEVER throw water over it.
When you’ve finished preparing your meal, double-check the cooker or hob is off.
Do you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home?
We want every home in Essex to be provided with the excellent protection that smoke alarms offer. Smoke alarms alert give you early warning of a fire which will give you and your family a chance to escape your home safely.
We will provide and fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge. Contact us today: call 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book