Fire leaves family homeless
Rectory Road, Pitsea
03/08/2018 @ 20:11
Incident Number: 83641
In attendance: 1 x Rayleigh Weir, 1 x Orsett, 1 x South Woodham Ferrers, 1 x Corringham, 1 x Wickford
Firefighters were called to a house fire this evening.
On arrival, crews reported that the whole of the upstairs of an end of terrace property, which measures around eight metres by five metres, was alight.
The fire had also spread to the roof area of the home. Firefighters cut away roof tiles and the building's external wooden materials in an effort to control the fire and prevent it spreading even further.
Due to the amount of damage to the property, the Incident Commander has advised the family will be left homeless as a result of this fire.
The fire was out by 9.55pm. Crews remained at the scene until around 1.30am to continue cutting away areas of the roof and extinguishing hotspots.
The fire was caused after a cigarette ignited bedding materials when one of the occupants fell asleep while smoking.
If you're a smoker or someone in your family smokes at home, make sure you follow our advice to stay safe:
- Never smoke in bed! Remember: if you need to lie down, don’t light up.
- Take extra care when you're tired, if you have been drinking alcohol or if you're taking any sort of drugs - it's very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is burning.
- Never leave lit cigarettes unattended - even in an ashtray. They can easily overbalance as they burn down.
- If you are using an ashtray, don't let ash and cigarette ends don't build up - these can also cause fires.
- Fit and maintain a smoke alarm - a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.