Fatal house fire
Church Road, Kelvedon
22/03/2018 @ 00:51
Incident Number: 74201
In attendance: 1 x Tiptree, 1 x Coggeshall, 1 x Witham
An elderly woman has sadly died following a house fire in Kelvedon last night.
Neighbours were alerted to the fire after they heard the homeowner's smoke alarm, and after calling 999, attempted to enter the property but were beaten back by the smoke.
When firefighters arrived they found a fire in a bedroom on the ground floor.
Sadly the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
Following an investigation the cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental. The cause of the fire is thought to be discarded cigarettes.
The fire service has issued the following safety advice for smokers:
- Make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished.
- Take extra care when you’re tired, taking any sort of drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning.
- Never smoke in bed - if you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire.
- Never leave lit cigarettes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
- Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.
- Tap your ash into an ashtray, never a wastebasket containing other rubbish – and don’t let the ash or cigarette ends build up in the ashtray.
- Use child safe matches and cigarette lighters and keep them safely out of the reach of children
- Fit and maintain a smoke alarm - a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.