Candles cause bathroom fire
Link Road, Canvey Island
23/01/2018 @ 07:01
Incident Number: 70817
In attendance: 1 x Canvey, 1 x Rayleigh Weir
Crews were called to a house after reports of a fire in the first floor bathroom.
On arrival firefighters reported that the first floor of the house was heavily smoke logged and there was a small fire in the bathroom.
Firefighters extinguished the fire by 7.40am.
The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental and started after candles were left on the bath and began to melt through the plastic.
There was also a delay in discovering the fire as the smoke alarm was not working.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is reminding the public to never leave candles unattended and to regularly test smoke alarms.
- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire - like curtains.
- Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
- Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
- Don’t move candles once they are lit.
- Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on burn time and proper use.
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.
Smoke alarms are proven life savers. They give warning at the first sign of fire, waking you and your family up and giving everyone the time they need to get safely out and call the fire service.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service wants to ensure that every single home in Essex has the excellent protection smoke alarms offer and will visit any home in Essex and fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge.
To book your Home Safety Visit book online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book