Market Place, Ingatestone
18/01/2018 @ 19:33
Incident Number: 70622
In attendance: 1 x Ingatestone
Crews were called to a house after reports that the chimney had caught alight.
Firefighters used chimney rods to extinguish the fire and then put a thermal imaging camera on the chimney to ensure the fire was out.
Firefighters confirmed the scene was safe at 8.55pm.
Most chimney fires are preventable. Regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys. Keep your family and home safe by following our chimney safety advice.
- Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood.
- Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed.
- Use a fire or spark guard.
- Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them.
- Inspect your chimney regularly - particularly in the roof space - to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.
- Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves.
- Buy only suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion.