Tumble dryer fire - build up of filter fluff sparks fire
Walnut Tree Way, Tipree
26/10/2017 @ 15:05
Incident Number: 65516
In attendance: 1 x Tiptree, 1 x Coggeshall
Firefighters were called to a tumble dryer fire in a flat in Tiptree this afternoon (Thursday 26 October).
When firefighters arrived they reported the tumble dryer and the clothes inside it were on fire. They quickly extinguished the fire before it could spread to the kitchen. The kitchen only suffered very slight smoke damage.
The resident was at home at the time, so they were immediately alerted to the fire and correctly followed our advice to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.
Incident like these show how important it is to take extra care using a tumble dryer. This incident is thought to have been started by a build up of fluff in the tumble dryer's filter.
The fire service recommends the following tumble dryer safety advice:
- Clean the filters after each use to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
- Ensure that the appliance has its own plug socket. Do not overload extension leads. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service provide free smoke alarms to anyone living in Essex. To arrange a home safety visit call: 0300 303 0088 or book online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book