Tumble dryer fire
Old Leigh Road, Leigh
13/07/2017 @ 20:54
Incident Number: 58803
In attendance: 1 x Southend, 1 x Leigh
Crews were called to a residential care home in Leigh last night (Thursday 13 July) following reports of a burning smell.
On arrival firefighters reported that the fire was in a laundry room and was producing a large amount of smoke.
Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire and clear the building of smoke by 8.25pm.
The cause has been recorded as accidental, due to a faulty tumble dryer.
The laundry room has suffered light smoke damage.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service recommends the following tumble dryer safety advice:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
- Clean the filters after each use to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
- Ensure that the appliance has its own plug socket. Do not overload extension leads. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.