Wicken Road, Arkesden, Saffron Walden
16/03/2016 @ 14:00
Incident Number: 3843
In attendance: 1 x Newport, 1 x Saffron Walden
Firefighters were called to a fire in a chimney. On arrival crews reported the property was heavily smoke logged. Crews extinguished the fire by 14:38hrs.
Sub Officer Neil Byford said:
"Incidents like this show why it is so important for people to get their chimneys cleaned every year. A build up of soot and ash in the chimney can easily catch fire. Chimney fires are not only dangerous but can cause a great deal of damage so we argue all everyone with a working fire to follow our chimney fire safety advice:
- Have the chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood.
- Do not bank fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you retire to bed.
- Use a fire or spark guard to prevent accidental fires and make sure that it has the kite mark or conforms to a relevant British/European safety standard.
- Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them.
- Inspect your chimney regularly – particularly in the roof space – to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.
- Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly.
- Buy only suitable fuels.
- Do not overload the grate.
Above all, ensure that you have a working smoke alarm fitted on each floor or your home. To arrange for a home fire safety visit, which includes the fitting of smoke alarms completely FREE of charge, call us on 0300 303 0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.