Lavender Walk, Jaywick
12/02/2016 @ 18:24
Incident Number: 2115
In attendance: 2 x Clacton
Crews were called to a bungalow fire on Jaywick caused by an unattended candle.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire by 18:55hrs.
A thermal image camera was used to check for hot spots inside the bungalow, which measured 10m by 5m.
Firefighters quick actions meant the fire was contained to one bedroom.
ECFRS has issued the following candle safety advice:
- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.
- Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
- Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
- Don’t move candles once they are lit.
- Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on burn time and proper use.
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring (mainly with tea-lights).
- Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out when sparks can fly.
Smoke alarms are the unsung heroes of any home. To arrange a free home safety visit call us on 0300 303 0088.