Fleetwood Avenue, Westcliff
25/01/2016 @ 12:17
Incident Number: 1207
In attendance: 1 x Leigh 1 x Southend
Firefighters tackled a fire which caused extensive damage to a first floor flat in Westcliff. The fire caused extensive smoke and fire damage througout the property. Wearing four sets of breathing apparatus and using two hose reel jets crews had extinguished the fire by 13:16hrs. Crews cut their way into the loft to c.ear it and deal with hot-spots.
Two thermal imaging cameras were used during the incident and a ventelation fan was also used to clear the property of smoke.
The fire appears to have been caused by a tumble dryer.
The Service has issued the following tumble dryer safety advice:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
- Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
- Not to overload plug sockets. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.