Laundry Room Fire
Marine Parade, Clacton
19/01/2016 @ 14:43
Incident Number: 894
In attendance: 2 x Clacton
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were called to a fire within the laundry room of a sheltered complex.
Crews used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire by 15:42hrs. One thermal image camera was used and a ventilation fan helped clear the room of smoke.
Sub Officer Scott Hepburn said: "On arrival, a tumble dryer was alight and the hallway was heavily smoke logged. We believe the fire was caused by an electrical fault within the appliance.
"With freezing conditions comes the increased need to dry clothes using a tumble dryer. However, if not used correctly and safely, tumble dryers can pose a potenital a fire risk."
The Service has issued the following tumble dryer safety advice:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
- Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
- Not to overload plug sockets. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.
You can also register your domestic appliances for free at www.registermyappliance.org.uk.