Ford Driving Simulator
One of our innovative road safety educational resources is our fully functional driving simulator which is situated at our Waltham Abbey Fire Station.
Developed for us by Fords at their Dunton research facility, the simulator combines cutting edge computer technology within an actual Ford Fiesta car body, married to panoramic projection screens to create an educational experience so immersive it is almost indistinguishable from driving an actual car.
There is no engine or road going functionality, but the simulator features real tyres, working windows, a working radio and a real life driving cockpit making the simulator as close as possible to a real driving experience.
The driving simulator is used to deliver impactive road safety education to new and prospective young drivers, who remain one of the highest road user risk groups. We work closely with Epping College and Harlow College who allow their students to attend the fire station to receive this educational experience.
A typical road safety education event utilising the simulator facility will comprise:
- An hour long classroom presentation and dialogue about road safety risk and consequence, with a particular focus on the ‘Fatal Four’ collision factors i.e.
- Driving without the use of seatbelts
- Driving under the influence of drink and drugs
- A demonstration of an emergency response at the scene of an RTC delivered by the Waltham Abbey Fire Crew
- Us of the Fords driving simulator to highlight issues around speeding, hazard perception, reaction time, distractions and driving under the influence.
If you manage groups of young people and you would like them to experience this road safety education package, please contact our road safety team at email@example.com