The Single Equality Scheme sets out our commitment to ensuring that our people continue to feel inspired to deliver and be part of an excellent Fire and Rescue service and we work in partnership to promote safer and sustainable communities. We have a duty within Essex to ensure that everyone has access to and the knowledge of our services and that all communities and individuals in the County are receiving equality of services with no unjustifiable difference between them.
This is an inclusive scheme that aims to address all aspects of equality, such as age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation, and promote good relations for everyone.
The scheme describes how we will tackle unlawful discrimination, promote equality and encourage good relations between people in all aspects of our day to day business.
Through our Equality & Diversity Strategy and the Single Equality Scheme we are committed to achieving the following:
- Eradicating discrimination and disadvantage through a systematic process of Equality Impact Assessments and working in partnership with stakeholders
- Supporting the development of service delivery which is responsive to the individual needs of the diverse communities we serve
- Mainstreaming equality and diversity in decision making and service development
- Creating a fair culture which is free from harassment and victimisation and which celebrates diversity
- Ensuring compliance with the requirements of legislation and Fire and Rescue Service standards
- Training and developing the capability of all staff and managers to understand and deliver the equality and diversity agenda
- Making a difference to local communities by working in partnership and by using influence and resources as an employer to make a difference to employment opportunities and service experiences of the local community
If you wish to view or download the ECFRS Single Equality Scheme 2010-2013 please click on the document below.