The Essex County Fire and Rescue Service Schools Team deliver home fire safety and arson prevention lessons to schools throughout Essex. The team visit approximately 100,000 children each year.
Our schools team has been in place for more than 10 years. Each Education Officer has substantial experience and expertise in delivering fire safety messages to children and use age appropriate packages when visiting schools. It is our aim to give children the knowledge to prevent the risk of fire at home and of what to do in the event of a fire. We also discuss consequences of becoming involved with fire setting behaviours and hoax calls. The skills and knowledge gained through our Education programmes can be used by children throughout their lives and into adulthood.
Our dedicated team of Education Officers deliver the fire safety message to Key stage 2 and 3 children using specially designed interactive schools programmes. Every school in the County is contacted and offered our core school programmes, as listed below.
- Year 3 Fire Safety Programme – Staff from our education team visit schools to help develop fire safety awareness skills of Year 3 pupils. In this programme there is an emphasis on pupils taking greater responsibility for their own safety.
- Year 7 ‘Heat of the Moment’ Programme - The ‘Heat of the Moment’ programme has been specifically designed to reduce the incidence of hoax calls and deliberate fire setting. It is delivered by our team of dedicated Education Officers.
- Year 7 – Pedestrian Safety. The ECFRS ‘Making a Safer Journey’ programme aims to raise awareness of the dangers on today’s roads. Education officers visit local schools and help students to negotiate safer every day journeys.
- Year 8 – Fire Safety Programme. Staff from our Education team visit schools and give students key information around fire prevention and making an escape plan.
Our education programmes are free of charge and open to all primary schools and secondary schools in Essex.
Please click here to arrange a booking.
Please include number of groups in the details section of the form.
Click here to view other language versions of the Home Fire Safefty Leaflet.
When we visit schools, the students often make designs and posters showing some of the fire safety messages they have learnt. Please click here to see some examples of their fantastic work.
- Posters made by students2mb
- Home Fire Safety Leaflet1mb
- Draw your own escape plan2mb
- Road safety tips818kb
- Frances Fire Fly Booklet3mb
RoSPA LASER Project
Health and Safety Executive- Risk Education
Learning to Listen
Respect and Responsibility- taking a stand against anti-socail behaviour
Strategy for children and young people: 2006-10 and Arson Control Forum
UK Fireworks safety
StopWatch Theatre Company
Great Fire of London - Channel 4